Work Permits for Foreign Employees in Israel (B-1 Visa)
According to the applicable Israeli law, foreign employees may not work in Israel unless they have obtained a valid work permit visa (B-1 Visa) stamped on the employee passport.
We recommend that a work permit application would be submitted to the Israeli Ministry of Interior, subject to the terms and conditions set below, prior to the employees’ arrival into Israel, in order to enable their passports to be stamped with the work permit visa, soon after their arrival.
The process of obtaining a Work Permit Visa
Step I: Ministry of Interior, Foreign Employees Administration Unit
The first step in the process of obtaining a visa is to obtain the favorable recommendation of the Ministry of Interior (Foreign Employees Administration Unit, FEAU). An Israeli entity should apply to the FEAU. Usually it takes about 45 to 60 days to receive the decision of the Foreign Employees Administration, approving or disapproving the grant of the required work permits
Stage II: Ministry of Interior, Regional Office
Should an approval be granted, the next step is receiving the approval at the regional office of the Ministry of Interior. The Assignee will need to be out of Israel during the Ministry of Interior application – about 3 weeks time.
Stage III: Israeli Consulate Abroad
The assignee will visit the Israeli consulate abroad to receive 1 month validity visa to Israel (In case the assignee will not use this visa within 30 days it will expire), the next step is entering Israel and receiving one year work permit stamped on employee’s passport.
Stage IV: Ministry of the Interior, Regional Office
Passport will be taken by ORIs rep. for finalizing the process and receiving the multiple entry-visa.
The documents that are needed from the company are as follows:
- Israeli Company’s incorporated certification.
- Israeli Company’s protocol or similar documentation certificating that the person signing behalf of the company is authorized to do so.
- Please fill out and sign the attached Company POA (3 copies).
- Social Security 102 forms – Last 3 months.
- Israeli registered Accounting certification declaring the company did not have a bankruptcy note registered in the last several years.
- Ministry of Interior.
- Employment contract between the employer and the assignee including the salary and benefits (According to the law the company will need to keep the agreement in the workplace in English and translated to Hebrew).
- Information describing the company, its activities in Israel, the reasons why it needs to employ the specific foreign employee and the employees qualifications, e. academic background, experience.
- Detailed information regarding the assignment: objectives and time frames.
- Company’s brochures and publication information.
- A Medical Obligo.
- Form AL-15.
- Form AL-33.
The documents that are needed from the Assignee are as follows:
- Photocopy of the employees passport (valid for at least 2 years from process initiation and with at least 4 empty pages for the process stamps).
- Copy of the employee’s education diplomas.
- Updated CV including recent projects with the current employer.
- Expected title and job description on the current assignment.
- 3 passports size photos.
- AL-33 and AL-15 Forms.
- Employee Power of Attorney.
Employee’s family members
Close family members (spouse and children) of an employee who has been granted a work permit; usually receive a tourist visa for the same period as that of the employees’ work visa. Such a tourist visa will not enable the employee’s family members to work in Israel but will enable them to stay in Israel during the period of the employee’s stay.
The documents, which should be attached to each family members application to be submitted to Ministry of the Interior, are as follows:
- Application for the extension of permit of residence/change of visa category – (Form AL/15)
- Application for entry visa to Israel – (Form AL/33).
- Photocopy of the family members passport (valid for at least 2 years from process initiation and with at least 4 empty pages for the process stamps).
- 3 passports size photos.
- Marriage Certificate
- Birth Certificate